Saturday 27 July 2013

Catch and release (part one)

I write this story in respect to my Grandfather who is very Good in my hearts' recall.

When I was a young boy
(my Grandfather lived in the country)
my Grandfather took me to the lake to sit around
(I thought it was boring to sit around doing nothing)
I thought it was sitting around but what he actually said
was watch me. He was fishing with a long stick and line.
So he handed me that stick and left
and I got anxious because he left me alone
(I thought he was leaving but what he was actually doing was going off a short distance to sleep)
I felt a tugging on the stick and figured and looked and it was a tugging on the line.
I called out to my Grandfather and he said in incomprehensable Vietnamese
"Pull it up"
I didn't understand what he said and what ever was on the line went off
This happened a few times more
Then something strong pulled on the line and pulled the stick out of my hands
and bye bye the whole stick and line was gone into the lake.
Then we went home
One day when he had found another stick we went fishing again
And my Grandfather let me hold the stick and went off to lay down and sleep again
This time when something strong came back and pulled on the line
I was afraid.
But I pulled
Then something black and slimy came out of the water and flopped about on the shore.
I was afraid.
My Grandfather came up and was very happy. My heart was beating hard with fear.
He held it up and said "This is a very Lucky fish to catch." Then he said something about respect
which I do not understand very well still.
Then he taught me how to unhook the fish
And I unhooked it
And I let it go back in to the lake
A time later When I was walking back home along the lake
a catfish swam up to the top of the water and splashed about.
I kept walking trying to bide my time.
Then the catfish spat water at my feet
I did not react
Then the catfish spat water at my trousers
I ignored it but kept biding my time
Then the catfish spat water at my circi
I felt assulted
I ignored it
Then another day I went walking by the lake deliberately to meet the catfish again
This time he swam up and swam beside me
I acknowledge him
He said "Hey ...(? I like you  ?) (I would like you to enjoy ?me?) (I have lived a long and eventful life and learned a lot of things and now it is time for me to give up my life for someone I like)
I said why don't you learn to dance have you done that yet? "You may enjoy it?"
So I meet him again some time later
And he said "Hey ... (look at me. I can dance.)"

No comments:

Post a Comment